Sunday, June 29, 2014

Workshop at Work

This past week, I attend a writer's workshop celebration for students who were attending summer remediation for EOC test. It was fantastic! The most reluctant students that you can imagine were writing and participating in a community.

Students were not working for a grade, they were not there because it was required, they were there working, and taking ownership because they wanted to be. Several of my students were in attendance and wanted me to read their writings, so many that I suggested that we do a read around. We pulled our chairs into a circle and I asked, " Who would like the author's chair?"

I heard a quite voice say, "I'll go."

It was one of my reluctant writers from the previous school year, who wanted to share her piece first.While she was reading the others paid attention, and as she finished I heard, "Thank you for sharing."

What? Are you kidding me? They said thank you for sharing, I must be dreaming. But I wasn't and it was absolutely precious to witness.

I am officially sold on using writer's workshop!  If this kind of community and student buy in can be built in two weeks, imagine what can happen in my classroom.




1 comment:

  1. It is so great to see the theory we're learning about translate into successful practice that engages students as they gain confidence in their ideas and writing! I wish I could have been there. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete