Tuesday, June 10, 2014




I love, love, love, LOVE "Where I Am From" poems They are a great way for anyone to feel successful with poetry. There are so many ways to use this in the classroom. To begin with, they truly build community. Your students learn about each other, you learn about your students, and if you praticpate (hint, hint) your students learn something about you too. You can use this poem to teach figurative language, poetry, or as a starting point for a memoir/personal narrative! I have written several different "Where I am From" poems and each time I remember another memory from my past. My latest attempt was written with my Nana Fern in mind.



From a Strong Heart 

I am from, front porches
From rocking chairs and Sunday lunches
I am from mind your manners, please and thank you very much
From amazing grace, that old rugged cross, and Amen
I am from grace and forgiveness will cleanse your soul
 From my grandmother’s pearls, delicate and round
I am from, strong women with blue eyes
From a gracious heart and faith you could stand on
From act like a lady, powder your nose, and hold your head high,
Even when it falls apart
I am from heart ache will make you stronger


Everyone has a story, why not share it!

2 comments:

  1. I truly enjoyed being able to read your students' "Where I'm From" poems today. I think we need constant reminders that our students have very real and deep experiences from which to draw and that we are providing them precious outlets to give words to what is rumbling around inside them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your students' 'Where I'm From Poems' you can tell that they took a lot of pride in their work. The poems were not only creative but the way the students published the poems neatly on paper with markers was neat too. I like your poem as well. I want to work on my poem and smooth it out but the more I read well-written poetry the more I realize I'm not creative! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete